Tuesday, April 26, 2005

dropped my cellphone on my toes today. and BOY DID IT HURT! as my sensory neurons fired away like machine guns all over my helpless brain, part of it was contemplating in silent, morbid amusement: why the heck is my cellphone so heavy? i mean it always feels so light when i carry it or when i'm throwing it around, but it just HAD to get 50 times heavier the split second before it touched down on my toes...

... unsolved mystery of the universe #23460572645.

and then as the pain started to subside, my brain shifted gears and approached a new topic: thank God it landed on my toes instead of on the ground, cos it might have just split open or destroyed itself, which would have entailed me making that long trip to the mall to have it repaired and being mercilessly placed on hold for hours by the absolute best customer service officers in the world.

and of course this got me thinking about just how often we take things for granted. i mean YAH it hurt so much that i couldn't even start screaming (ok fine i exaggerate) but i'd much rather endure the pain than have to drive/cycle/etc to pmall and watch my life slip past me as the customer service officers sit around and stare and wait for things to happen. right? but at that moment when my toe made contact with the massive titanium chassis of my telecommunications unit, all i could think of was WAH SUEY UNTIL CANNOT MORE SUEY LIAO.

which then got me thinking again (warning: ultra slim connection alert) : when we give thanks, it's usually for the good things in life, but how often do we actually give thanks for the bad things that didn't turn out worse than they did? how often do we wallow in our supposed misery without realizing that life could treat us with a lot more cruelty?

walking along arts quad today, i saw pictures of little kids with ribcages straining to push past skin that had already been stretched unimaginably thin. every minute, 20 children in this world die of hunger. that's one in 3 seconds.

so in the midst of this semester's horrible studio experience, in the midst of my hair falling all around me, in the midst of a relationship that rivals Six Flags in terms of rate of bidirectional vertical displacement...


... I thank God I'm alive. :)

p.s. Hypothesis of the Day: we only scream when there's people around to hear us.

No comments: