Monday, July 20, 2009

la maison en petite cubes



such a beautiful, sweet and sad film. "the house of small cubes" by Kunio Kato won the best animated short at the 81st academy awards, for good reason. few films have touched me in such a profound way as this one, which left me teary and breathless long after the 12 short minutes of the film's duration had passed.

today i watched this film again, a few months since i first laid eyes on it. still just as wonderful. and perhaps because of how life is arranging itself around me these few months, it brought a smile to my face as well. i think "the house of small cubes" is essentially a story full of hope, albeit well hidden behind a veil of melancholy and vague despair.

i also realized one thing that never really occurred to me before -- that if one day i can be together with someone i truly love, i'd want to outlive her. because i want to be there to love her for the rest of her life :)

No comments: